Tuesday, May 31, 2011

To everything there is a season...

We are all familiar with the words of Solomon penned in Ecclesiastes 3: 1-8 beginning with "There is an appointed time for everything, and there is a time for every event under heaven..." (American Standard Version. http://www.bible.org/.) Most of you could probably sing it with me! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6jxxagVEO4

It is often comforting to look to these words as comfort when something happens; there is a time for war, a time for peace, a time to reap, a time to sow, etc. This passage reflects to us the patterns and seasons of life, the cycles of time and existence. This can be such a comfort as life tosses us around a bit to know that there is a controlling power that holds all this shifting in His hands and knows how it all works together for our good.

In recent days as I have looked both in the mirror and into my life, this passage has reared its head as not so much a comfort but as a challenge. It almost screams at me "Girl, changes are coming. This season of your life is coming to an end. Something different is on the horizon and you can choose to face it bravely, with grace and determination or you can give up, fail, remain stagnant." Doesn't seem like I have much choice does it?

We all face changes; both big and small. Change is interesting that way. Sometimes it is the smallest change that brings the largest return; a shift of perspective on another person or event, a slight alteration in our daily routine, even a brief phone call can bring large and impressive impact.

Personally, I am fully aware that I am facing some major changes these next months; a change of address, a change of living circumstances from ownership to rental and from roommates to complete singleness again. My job is changing as is the realization that my connection to my discipline (theatre) is more removed than before. My faith life is changing. My friendships are changing. My physicality must change if I am to remain healthy and active thus, the daily routines of familiar activity is changing. All of this is a bit much to face right now...change, change, and more change. To everything there is a season...and when one season ends, another must begin whether we are prepared for ALL the endings/beginnings or not. It must happen.

I have also realized, past the momentary feelings of utter terror and wrenching realities of change, that God does not simply toss all this at us. He does prepare our hearts and minds for such changes. Some of the changes I am making are ones I have contemplated for a time and decided the best time is now. Some have been on the horizon and I have worked toward smoothing the transition into them. Still, the idea of all these changes is frightening and overwhelming for me, as it is for many.

I am, however, blessed. The living situation is dissolving in a peaceful manner with no hurt feelings or resentment. I have a new boss who understands and shares my concerns and with whom I can talk openly. And, last but most importantly, I have a wonderful support system. Though some key people will be physically absent during this summer of change, they have not, nor will they abandon me. They hold me close in prayer and I know, without doubt, that should I have need, they are only phone calls away. Another way God has been preparing me for these changes...

Change...it is part of the seasons of our lives. We can embrace it or challenge it. It is difficult to do either one but necessary, non-the-less. As for me, I will do both...there are some I will embrace with joy and excitement and fear and trepidation. There are other changes I will challenge to assure they are good and worthy changes, not pursued for the wrong reasons and, at the end of this summer season, I will escape for some time to commune with my God so that my tired and possibly bruised and tired heart can rest some after all it's seasonal labor of change.

As always...

1 comment:

  1. YAY! I'm glad you posted again. :)

    And it's interesting because Pastor Mark just read this passage during his sermon on Sunday. But I'll for sure keep you in my prayers during all of your changes. I didn't realize there were so many happening!

    ReplyDelete