Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Are we there yet???

How many times must my parents have fielded that question from 4 children? I can only imagine. You would think that as we mature our impatience might be tempered with some sort of reality pertaining to time, space, people...that we would understand that sometimes there must be a waiting period. We live in this world of instant gratification; of I want it therefore it should be mine.

Well, you have waited a long time for me to post anything here and guess what? Non of you died from the wait! See, you can do it! But waiting for things we want seems forever. Whether it be small things (like my morning coffee as I wait in line at Starbucks) or really big things (like that life-partner God has chosen for me or a healed heart from wounded relationships) we are not a patient people. Or, maybe I should say I am not a patient person.

But I have found that, as the saying goes, good things come to those who wait. Even in my impatience I am reaping the benefits of that waiting period. When I use the time wisely, great thing happen during the waiting process. I have time and inclination to exercise my brain, to use my intellect toward creative things and hone my skills and talents as God would have me do. I have found substantial relationships with wonderful people who fill my life with laughter and insight and joy. I have taken the opportunity of waiting to better myself, to seek God's guidance and human assistance in addressing those things that hold me back from being the person I was created to be.

This waiting has offered me experiences I would not have had if everything I ever wanted had simply been granted when I desired it. I have learned that I can be alone, be independent, be ME and be truly okay with that. I have learned that if we open our hearts to be loved we also open them to be hurt. But, conversely if we close them to avoid hurt, we are also closed to being loved and loving with the fullness we are capable of. I have learned that hurts heal, that people can change, and that love is the greatest healer. I have learned that life has moments of darkness and some people's darkness is far darker and more encompassing than others but that even in the midst of that, there is light. There is hope. Sometimes we are the light, the hope, the joy that others see and are drawn to from their darkness.

I have learned that even when sitting in the cheap seats you can enjoy the show. Even when I have a completely restricted/blocked view of joy or of God...both are there, present, available. And the waiting has taught me that if I simply continue the wait my blurred and sinful vision will clear.

I rejoice as David did: "I waited patiently for the Lord; he inclined to me and heard my cry. He drew me up from the desolate pit, out of the miry bog, and set my feet upon a rock, making my steps secure."

I hear God saying to me today...Patience, my beloved child. I have things in hand. I will give you every blessing you need when you need it. Simply wait. So...I will wait and allow Him to work in me and around me, resting that He has my life well in hand and, as a patient Father will tell me when we are "there."

Blessings all....have a wonderful, patient day awaiting His good and perfect gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment