Friday, June 24, 2011

The Pavement Chase

Should I give up or should I just keep chasing pavements
even if it leads nowhere?
or would it be a waste even if I knew my place
would I leave it there?
                                                         --Adele

If you have never listened to this young artist, you need to. Adele is amazing…her voice is young and jazzy with some pop thrown in. Her lyrics are poetic and poignant, hitting me in the solar plexus each time I hear her. I can’t help but sing along.

As in most music, this refrain is in reflection of a relationship. Should she give up, walk away, abandon hope in a relationship when she knows her feelings will not be returned (“even if it leads nowhere?”). Or, should she stay and if she stayed would she be “wasting” herself in a relationship that will never fulfill what she needs from it?

How many of us have ever been in this situation or, wondered if we were in that situation? Many. Let’s face it; relationships can be a crap shoot! Who knows if the guy across the table is “the one?” He may be but how will we know that after the world’s worst first date! Or, we may be swept off our feet and wooed for months only to discover that, in the end, we don’t belong with who we thought was Mr. Right. What if he thinks you are the one for him and you don’t feel the same? It works both ways, you know.

Here is where the public view of relationships and the faith-based view part ways. As a woman of faith I guess you could call me a pavement chaser. If I feel God has set a person in my life for a purpose, I will proceed on that path of relationship. I don’t know the future, only the present. God has His plan for me as well as for those around me. I do believe that. What it is? I know not. When will it come to fruition? Again, I have no idea but I am hopeful. The hardest part is this; give it up to God. God knows how every relationship in our lives will work to our benefit. God wants what is best for use; for you and for me. God works through all things to bring about good in all circumstances. I have to believe that or the trials of life become overwhelming. I must, every moment of every day, place all relationships in God’s hands, knowing He will care for them tenderly and carefully and bring good things from them for all involved.

So, should I give up? Or, should I just keep chasing pavements? I will chase pavements until my God brings me to a clear understanding that my efforts are wasted and the goal of relationship is completely beyond my grasp. Now, realize that nothing is impossible with God so this could be a long, frustrating, heart-breaking journey. But, God only wants relationship with us, who am I to work toward less with the people in my life?

No comments:

Post a Comment